Sunday, February 2, 2014

79 Days till my start date. Sleeping Bag!

NEMO Nocturne 15

I have received my Sleeping bag via the UPS man! Just like a kid on Christmas day I couldn't wait to bust open that box and see what was inside. It's just so crazy the rush of excitement you get when you get things delivered to your house. 

 I put a lot of thought and research into which sleeping bag to get. In the beginning I didn't know anything about sleeping bags. Except you sleep in them.  I learned that this was a good area to spend some $$$ and not cheapskate this purchase. At First I struggled with do I get a down bag or synthetic? I went with down, then it was what temperature or comfort range do I need. Then of course what brand do I choose. I looked at a lot of bags online and at REI and Ultimately I picked the NEMO Nocturne 15, it's different than the norm. It's has a unique shape, They call it "spoon" shaped. I had first heard about it from Backpacker magazine it had the editors choice award. So I gave it some good thought and went for it. But I Think I was mostly persuaded by this video Click here to watch. 




 I also got my Sleeping bag liner as well. Sea to Summit Thermolite Mummy bag liner. It says it's supposed to add 15 degrees warmth. It's really soft and feels amazing. 


 I've never owned a sleeping bag this nice before. I tried it on for size and I am so glad I went with the "spoon" shape. It's perfect! The liner is stretchy so it allows for movement as well so I think they will work good together I can't wait to test it out for real. If I had my tent and sleeping pad I would pry be sleeping outside tonight on our little balcony. It's only 12 degrees out right now it would be perfect test run haha... brrr (I hate winter)



I have noticed that it seems most people in Yogi's book seem to have a 20 degree bag only 2 of the 18 Hikers in her book uses a 15 degree bag. However she gives the advice that If you get cold easy to have a bag with lower temp rating and you will be much happier. So that's pretty much what I did. I figured I could always vent heat out but I couldn't magically make my bag warmer. So that's my sleepin bag. 

 Click here to check out my gear page. You can follow my blog by email or by clicking the follow link on my Google profile. Feel Free to leave me a comment or if you have a question. 79 days!  The excitement is building I'll be on that plane to San Diego in no time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment