Saturday, January 4, 2014

108 days till my start date. FOOD part 1.

Food Food Food! 

Testing food, what could be better than that?
I'm very excited to start figuring out what food I'm going to be eating everyday on the trail. I'm going to try and make a lot of variety and test everything before I start going into mass production mode. 3-4 meals a day plus snacks for about 150ish days, that is a lot of food! I don't even have a clue as to what that much food even looks like. The plan is that I am going to be resupplying with maildrops cause I don't what to have to buy processed garage food, plus being vegan would pry make it harder to resupply in some smaller towns. So I am up for the challenge and this is part of the pre-journey, journey for me. 

Dehydrator time!
 I just got My new Nesco Dehydrator the other day. The very same day I had to run to the Sprouts Grocery store and pick up all the ingredients to make this Vegan Chili I've never had before just so I could dehydrate some and try it. Had fun making a short video as well. 







A little video for your viewing pleasure.



The Results...
The Chili is  really good, except for the corn. I knew I shouldn't have added corn. I think I would also add one can less of tomatoes and more Garlic and add more of the other spices I think I'll play with it a little. however It still was very good as is. Minus that stupid corn, it was just kind of chewy I didn't care for it being in there.
 After dehydrating it I packed it in a ziplock and I was excited to taste it the following day... I was impressed it didn't taste any different. I boiled some water and added about 1.5 cups of water. The Beans where softer but still really good.  I am so excited for this chili. I found a good recipe on the first shot. I would recommend this recipe to nonvegans as well it was some of the best I've ever had. 

Recipe is called The best vegan chili in the world. 

Recipe makes 8 servings 

Ingredients 

1 medium onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon salt
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers, drained
2 (12 ounce) packagesvegetarian burger crumbles
3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn

Directions


  1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and green chile peppers. When vegetables are heated through, mix in the vegetarian burger crumbles. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.
  2. Mix the tomatoes into the pot. Season chili with chili powder and pepper. Stir in the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in the corn, and continue cooking 5 minutes before serving.












Chili recipe from allrecipes.com

I've been having all kinds of fun dehydrating all kinds of random stuff. I'm Going to try and make my own flax milk maybe soy milk and see how it dehydrates. I eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast and I would love to continue that on the trail as well. I buy bulk organic quick oats they are the best. 

Here is my breakfast Oatmeal recipe if anyone wants to try it:

2/3 cup oats (or 1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp salt
Fruit of the day
4/3 cups of vanilla flax milk (or 1 cup if 1/2 cups oats)
microwave 2.5 min
add Crumbled pecons and honey! (I know some say honey isnt "vegan" but I don't care what others say honey comes from flowers and it's amazing ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment