Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Hours still my start date... Anxiety of sorts

I guess this is day zero

Woke up this morning a little after 4am with a feeling of urgency that I haven't felt in a while. I have so much to do this morning before my 8 am flight to San Diego. Quick shower and got dressed and realized that I am going to be wearing the same cloths everyday now for the next 5 months. It hit me like a ton of bricks... Anxiety, adrenalin was flowing like crazy I couldn't even think straight. So I started packing up all my gear and stuffing my extremely fluffy sleeping bag into its tiny compression sack. Packed 3 days of food into my brand new sea to summit sack aka"food bag" with everything in my pack it looks ridiculous. It's so big! (That's what she said) haha

So a couple days ago I picked up this big old ugly bag with wheels from the second had store to put my backpack in while I check it on the airplane. It only cost $7! Which is great cause I intend to ditch it at San Diego airport when I arrive.



All loaded up and ready to go. And I realize my shoes are outside from the day before drying cause I washed them and I couldn't find the insoles?? I asked Jordan and we figured out she had packed them up with all of my other stuff that we moved to my parents house! Oh no. I'm already running a hour behind and I don't have insoles to my shoes. Flight is at 8, two hours early to get through security plus a hour drive. And it's almost 6 ahh. It's cool though Walmart is on the way. After a year of thinking about nothing but the PCT and I suddenly feel so unprepared. Anxiety again...

Walmart had the insoles I like and we are off. Arriving at the airport was bitter sweet. I have been looking forward to this day for almost a year but, I had to say good bye to my PIC (partner in crime)/ best friend of over 4 and half years that I have practically spent everyday with during that time. It was really tough I'm going to miss her and I hate to see her sad. (Love you Jordan!) She drives away while I go inside east terminal of DIA towards frontier counter. :(

I glad I'm a frequent flier. I got this airport thing down pretty good. Which was really good the airport was F-ing crazy the frontier counter had huge lines. Since I checked in the night before I bypassed the line and walked right up to the counter and printed my boarding pass and dropped my bag at the checked bags counter. I ran around hundreds of people headed to security. Got through security with 30 min till boarding. Time for breakfast.

An easy flight I have landed in San Diego.




I called Scout and Frodo the trail angels picking me up from the airport they told me where to meet and there was two others coming in at the same time. It's funny cause even through I didn't know who I was looking for. I knew instantly when I saw Dave he was a hiker. Trail runners, kacky zip off pants, a white long sleeve desert shirt and a huge bag. So I met my first of many hikers. Dave is from Canada he is going to hike from Mexico to Lake Tahoe or so. He plans to be there around July 1st which is the same time I should be there. So we will pry be seeing a lot of each other if we both stick to our plans. He's really nice guy super positive and also is a business owner.

We have arrived at Scout and Frodo's house! This place is incredible. They are super set up and organized to do amazing things for us hikers. Super spoiled.






Frodo and Scout

I met Jeff on the way from the airport. He is from Seattle He actually already Hiked the first 20 miles to Lake Morena got sick with ammonia flew home and is back to continue. He's a pretty cool guy we shared the tent trailer in front of Scout and Frodo's house. He showed me a lot of cool ways to make my gear lighter.

I met a lot of other Hiker at Scout and Frodo's place. A couple from Germany, Some brothers Luke and Josh from Wisconsin. Eduardo from Mexico. I also met WakieTalkie He Hiked the PCT last year he is from the UK. He flew here to go to the Kickoff party this weekend. He Gave me a ride to REI to exchange my tent. He is freaking hilarious.

We all had an awesome dinner! Thank you Scout and Frodo. They are amazing people I can't believe the amount of generosity they give to all us Hikers and ask nothing in return. Well it's time for bed I have a big day tomorrow.


My pack is ready to go.

- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment