Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Day 6. Finally on the trail

No more Lazy days, My Journey begins...

Lake Morena mile 20 to Mt Laguna mile 42.6
Miles hiked today 22.6

I woke up 30 minutes before my alarm and just laid there till the Alarm went off at 5am. I jumped into lets get the hell out of here mode. The plan is to hike all the way to Mt. Laguna 22.6 miles. I still haven't developed a system yet of packing up camp so it feels really awkward. My tent looks like a bomb went off in it, shit everywhere. I am still inside my tent and I can start to hear people waking up and an packing as well. So I took down the tent and pack everything up and walked over to the campsite where the food is. They are serving yogurt and granola with fresh cut fruit on a tortilla. It's so good, they take such good care of us here. Goldmine was still inside his tent I asked if he was awake. I was hoping that I was going to get to hike with him today. He had other plans to take it easy today and start slow. Bummer I hope I run into him again later down the trail. My intentions are to hit it hard and see how far I can go.

It is 6:30 so I walked to the trail where I had came off from into the camp ground and started my walk. I passed and met a bunch of people along the way. Every time I told them I was going all the way to Mt. Laguna today they kind of looked at me funny and said "your going that far today?"

Everyone wanted to take it easy and what not, thats just not my way. I believe that the only way to get better is to push yourself out of the comfort zone. If it's comfortable you don't ever improve. The body and the mind need to be stressed to get better. It's going to hurt of course. I feel like I have a grasp on the difference between the good pain and the injury kind of pain having experienced some of the near injury kind last year and during training its year. I just feel so good right now.

So I took a little video of the start of my day. Enjoy




YouTube Video




A nice view from the top of the first little hill.






Selfie



It's so funny I have seen these walls in other peoples pictures that hiked in years past. It's so crazy to be here under this bridge and see them for myself




I came to the Boulder Oaks camp ground. In the dirt someone wrote "LazyBoy your home" with an arrow pointing to the right. I ran over there Cowboy and Wyoming where still there just about done packing up. they had told me that Mogli, Heckel and Jeckel had just left.



I was walking along and at about 1 more mile. I heard someone yell "LAZYBOY" I looked up and found Mogli chillin on this big rock drinking and eating snacks lol.

He offered some snackes but I must push on. I told him How far I was going and that I would see him tomorrow waiting for the post office to open up (at noon, Damit)



Another picture of something I have seen a lot in other peoples photos.

So the day went on and the miles flew by and before I knew it I had walked 17 miles with no break. So I found a nice place to post up my chair off the trail and in the shade. I spoke with a guy named Lumber, nice guy. I had peanut butter with honey on a tortilla. I stayed maybe 15 min. Back to walking! The trail to Laguna is a constant climb which was great It's so much easier to go up then down (my feet start to get hot spots on the down)

22 miles down today with no problems and no blisters.

YouTube Video


just wanted to take you guys on a walk with me so thats what this next video is all about.

YouTube Video


I made it into Mt. Laguna and it's a small town with a small general store (which is closed right now) a post office, an awesome little shop packed floor to ceiling with awesome gear and a Restaurant.

I want to check out this famous, and small gear store. I ended up buying a back up water bladder for my water filter. They had some trail magic with a cooler with free beer out front too! It was PBR which is pretty gross on most days but today It was amazing. Sat down for a bit outside the store and chatted with some hikes outside the gear shop. All I want to do right now is eat and get off my feet. So I walked over to the restaurant. I was surprised it had a really good menu with local fresh foods. I got a salad with a bunch of veggies and some kind of spices and italian dressing it was amazing.

While at the restaurant Meg and Jeff (met them at kick off) where there they said I could stay in there campsite for free! (normally $22 and 8 people per site.) The best part about this site is that they had showers and for $1.75, I took a wonderfull 7 minute shower.




LazyBoy all warm in my tent saying goodnight with a cup of hot tea.


- Posted from my iPhone



1 comment:

  1. Awesome job pushing it. Just like zero hour without the red bull :)
    Gabe

    ReplyDelete