Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Day 7. First resupply!

Resupply day and hurry up and wait

Today I pick up my first of many resupply boxes! So I already knew before I got here that the post office doesn't open till noon. I just didn't know how painful it was going to be sitting around for hours waiting for it to open.

This morning while packing up Wyoming came walking by. They stayed in the camp sit behind mine they got in late last night. I told her how awesome the shower was. She was under the impression it was a cold shower and wasn't going to use it.

I got to the post office at 8:30 ish and there was already a bunch of people waiting. Some people had actually set there box to the store and could get it early for $5 fee. I'm trying to avoid the box fees.







While I was waiting I was messing around and figured out how to rig my umbrella to this new pack.

At about 11:45 Heckel and Jeckel showed up and so did Mogli. He walked up with a beer can he found in the grass beside the trail. He was going to have it shipped ahead 700 miles to Kennedy Meadows where we all have to keep our food in one. They are like $65-85 so that's a score for sure. It was nice to see everyone again. Sadly I think this might be the last time. They started a half day ahead of me and was a half day behind. So I'm thinking in two days we won't run into each other. I'm doing a little more miles then them each day.

Finally got my resupply. Just added 8lbs of food to my pack! But I also sent 1.5lbs of stuff home. I send my soft shell jacket and extra pair of shorts.

I said my goodbyes and at 1:45 I was off headed back to the trail. I said down at the picnic table by the trail and are one of my heaviest dinners to lighten the load some. I could hear some car campers in the site next to me talking about me. I heard them refer to me as a hitch hiker. They don't have a clue lol. I didn't pay them much attention. It was 2:15p by the time I started moving down the trail. The plan was to hike about 10 miles to Pioneer mail picnic area and camp for the night.

First 5 miles uneventful till I came into a weird burnt forest area.

YouTube Video

Then I came upon my first amazing wide open view. Pictures never due it justice.





I walked on a little bit and went down the mountain into a valley and back up this other mountain and I came to another great spot.

I pulled out my chair and sat for a bit to take it all in.










Everybody should have a chair for moments like this. It was just so dam awesome perfect weather my words can't describe how I feel right now. I feel so alive and free...

YouTube Video




Another selfie, got to have the selfies so we can watch my beard grow.



Yeah 50 miles down!

The short 10 miles I went was a little rough on my feet. They hurt the last 4 miles to camp, clearly not happy with the extra weight.

Got to the picnic area about 4:30p and there was already like 15 or so people already there we joked and called it kick off #2. There was a outhouse here and a horse tank thing to get water from. I had some of my vegan chill for the first time on the trail and it was amazing! I stayed up a little bit and had a good conversation with Snake Farm who I just met. He had hiked the AT in 2011. I called it a night and retreated to my tent.

I am rudely awaken at 11p by the sound of ridiculous wind. Blowing my tent all over the place. Good thing I bought ear plugs at the store in Laguna.

Big day tomorrow it's off to Scissors crossing 25 miles away! I've never walked that far before.

- Posted from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Awesome views! What a weird forest. It did look a little spooky. Love the videos man!
    Gabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks bro! Yeah it feels a little weird taking videos of myself talking haha. But I'm getting used to it. It's been fun.

      Delete
  2. Hey James (aka:LazyBoy), Brad here, I'm gonna be class of 2015!! I'm picking out four or five of you 2014ers to follow as I prepare for my journey next year. There are a few ahead of you Im following as well. Carrot Quinn, hikingsunbeam, UB, Molly, and Rocket Llama. My being a Respiratory Therapist here in Seattle, your medical situation really caught my attention. Scared the crap outta of me reading your blog. Just a thought; Peanut allergic reactions can be sudden and unexpected. I noticed in a pic you had peanut butter with dried apples earlier in the day on the way to Morena. Any connection?? Have you identified what caused your reaction? Anyway, I look forward to following your journey. Your videos are fabulous; thank you! I get to see the terrain before I get there. The desert has me a bit concerned and familiarity helps keep imaginary demons at bay. I was at the southern terminus on March 10th, then drove to Morena and hiked 4miles south, had lunch at a great overlook then hiked back. I had to go down for a medical conference in San Diego on the 12th, so took the opportunity to go down early and get "familiar" with the desert. A great experience that helped a bit; still somewhat intimidated. I read through the register on the back of the monument and found some names from class of 2013 that I meet up on Stevens Pass last year. Starting in September, I trail angle by hiking in 5miles south to Lake Josephine and bring goodies (usually Apple Muffins from my favorite Bakery) and wait for thru hikers. I then hike back to Stevens Pass with them and give them all a ride down to Densmores in Baring. By the time you guys get up here to Washington, you have lots and lots of stories to tell :0) a great help to me as I prepare. Anyway, sorry for being so long winded; good thing you have a solar charger, I probably drained your iPhone while you read this, lol. Take care and a safe journey, maybe I'll see you at Stevens Pass.
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brad, I also Follow UB and Carrot. They are like my Hiking Heroes, haha (along with a few others). I have enjoyed there stories and following thier journey. To be part of this now has just been amazing. It's kind of weird to me to be walking my way to become one of them and be among them. ;) Thank you for following my journey.

    As far as my allergic reaction I'm still not sure. I have had a lot of peanuts and peanut butter since then. I am thinking it was a drink mix for joints, that I had 30 min prior to arriving at Hauser creek that had shell fish in it. So IDK. So far me and the desert aren't buddies. I love it in the morning I am on top of the world feeling so good. Then the heat and long miles to no where kick in and it sucks haha. But the towns and people make it so worth the effort. Plus looking back knowing I kicked butt makes me feel good. I hope I run into to you at Washington that sounds awesome what you do. I'm excited to see what going to happen on this adventure!
    Thanks for taking the time to comment I enjoyed reading it. I get emails with my comments and it's always exciting.
    LazyBoy

    ReplyDelete