Saturday, April 26, 2014

Day 2. Lake Morena, Recovery


I can't believe that just Happened to me


I woke up serval Times through out the night and my neck and chest where so stiff and sore moving around was very painful. So I slept in till 9am. I was barrly able to eat my oatmeal.



Here is my first campsite.

I packed up my stuff and was preparing to make the 23 mile trek to Mt. Laguna stopping first at Boulder Oaks Camp Ground which was the next good water source. So it's always a good idea to know where the next water source is. This way you know how much water to carry till them.

I was ready to go even though I didn't feel good I was feeling slightly better and on the downward slope of whatever is going on with me. But at this point It was almost 11am so I considered staying at Boulder Oaks. I thought first maybe I should get a little medical advice before I leave here so I called my girlfriend's cousin Ashley since she is a nurse. After talking to her I had decided that I needed to stay here at Lake Morena till I was feelin better and in the clear of whatever is going on with me.
So I set my Tent again In better shade. Campsite 64 is the designated campsite for all the PCT hikers. The trail goes right beside my tent. Here I am meeting a bunch of Awesome people (that I have become really good friends with)

I was hanging out in my tent when this really loud guy with a huge red beard showed up named Levi. He asked if anyone wanted to walk up to the store/deli/ice cream shop. I decided to go with, I hadn't eaten lunch yet. I am really glad I did, I got to know Levi, he is such an kind hearted/free spirted person that always says the hot shit. I am always laughing when I'm around this guy.


Check out this amazing veggie sandwich I got from the Deli. It had avocado, tomatoe, lettuce, cucumber, sautéd mushrooms, onion, green peppers and a little italian dressing. I added a little hot sauce. So good I want to go get another one right now.


The view from my tent. That is the PCT right there.


My first Trail magic. I was walking by and these guys called me over for some strawberry shortcake. I got to meet Honey and Bear. They are trail angels from the AT which is a long distance hiking trail like the PCT, but in the east coast. There was another surprise at the table.


Billy Goat was sitting there as well! (He's sitting on the right in the blue jacket) Billy Goat is famous in the hiker community. He has hiked about 44,000 miles on the PCT, CDT, and AT (he's a triple Crowner) So that was neat getting to be around him and listen to him talk.



These are some of the nice folks at campsite 64. NatGeo, MadHatter, Auto, Cathryn, Jenna, Levi/Mogli is his new trail name. and Tim on the end. Missing from the photo is Wyoming and Broc. They where still in camp too cause Broc had also gotten sick last night. He was puking his guts out. He seems to be feeling better this morning. I found out that Jenna is from CO and Cathryn was living in Fort Collins for the last 4 or 5 months pry to this. It's such a small world.

All and all it was a pretty good day hanging out and getting to know my new trail family. I am slowly feeling better. I have decided to just hang out here till after the Kick off (ADZPCTKO) I got here Tuesday night and KO gets over Saturday night so I have some time to kill.

Looking back it wasn't very smart for me not to have gone to the hospital. I wish I had an epi pen.

I'm feeling antsy I want to hike. I'm ready to go!


- Posted from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Scary man! Be careful. What are you doing poking at a snake? Last time you saw a snake that I could remember you ran away :) Looking forward to your next pictures. -Gabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know I was most certainly running away. Out here there is only one way to go down the trail. It's the snake or me, and I'm the one with the trekking poles. I had to flip an other snake off the trail it wasn't moving.

      Delete