Monday, May 5, 2014

Day 9. Oh yes there will be pain

Searching for balance

Scissors Crossing to ?

First thing I got to say is: I've spent my first night sleeping under a bridge. So I can check that off my bucket list.

I was awaken by the sound of someone unzipping there tent as they proceeded to pee. awesome it's 4am now I can't sleep. So I tried to catch up on the blog and sent some texts to Jordan (she works nights) which was nice.

It was 7 by the time I hit the trail, the last to leave this time. I was able to fill up on water from the cache that was there. I have like 12 or 13 ish miles till I get to the 3rd gate water cache and it is going to be hot today with little to no shade the whole way.

So my very ambitious goal today is to go all the way to Warner Springs which is 32 miles. I know the energy, fitness and the drive is there to go the distance. I just don't know if my feet will hold up that far using the hike one hour rest 15 minute method that had gotten me to Scissors Crossing.

So right from the beginning there was a pretty good climb. We started down in this valley and climb to almost the top of the mountains and walk along the mountain on a trail cut into the side. Totally exposed no trees in sight dirt, rocks and ugly desertish bush. Maybe a cactus with a flower here and there. So I got 4 miles in took my first little break. I only got 2 miles more till my feet started hurting pretty intensely. I hobbled the last 6 to the water cache there was some shade provided by some slightly taller bushes. It was like oasis and a perfect place for a siesta. There was people sleeping under bushes all over the place it was pretty comical. I found me a bush and crawled under. I laid out my tent footprint and blew up my Thermarest Xtherm and I spent 2 hours here off my aching feet.




I was packing up my stuff when Happy Man came walking by. Happy Man! I hadn't seen him since kickoff. He was at Scout and Frodo's house the same time as me. He is really nice guy from Mexico. He took a short break and we both decided that we would walk together to Barrel springs with was 10 or so miles away. If we hurried we could make it before it got dark.



We came across Billy Goats Cave so I had to take a picture.


Here's Happy Man. It's a good fit on the name he's a super happy dude.

We walked along as the sun was getting closer and closer to setting. I couldn't walk any further I had to stop and rest my feet. the pain was so bad. I only had 3 more miles. after doing like 20 miles 3 should seem like no big deal, right? Happy man went on with out me. I sat down on the trail with my chair and pack under my legs for almost 30 minutes. I had to put on my head lamp and jacket cause the sun had already set. I wasn't going to sleep right in the middle of the trail so I had to march on to the next open space the resembled anything close to a campsite. 3 miles seemed impossible when every step was extreme shooting pains...

I hike with a very light and small step to reduce the pounding of the feet on the ground. 99 miles in a short amount of time has taken it's toll regardless of my efforts.

I kept checking my Halfmile app on my phone to see if somehow the mile was getting shorter. and I noticed I was exactly at mile 100!


I had just walked 100 miles of the PCT! I never thought I would actually be here. I just thought it was just something that I was just planning and talking about but never actually going to do.


I had found this a few steps later. It's a 100 made from rocks. At this moment I just realized I am here, I'm doing it and the pain was secondary to the joy and excitement I was feeling. I was falling into negative head space over the last few miles and I was alone in that moment of negative thinking. Seeing this reminded me why I'm out here and that this is the time of my life. Nothing great in life comes easy or free. There is a price to pay and Oh yes there will be pain. This is the test and pain is part of the price. Yeah it tests the body, but I think the biggest test is of my will to overcome the struggles and pain. Sometimes it takes an outside influence to snap you out of funk. This 100 was just what I needed when I needed it. I was going to walk the last 1.13 miles with a smile on my face and in good spirits despite the needles, razor blades, and fire I was walking on.

Guess what, The universe provided me with exactly what I needed twice now. I didn't have to walk the last mile, right around the corner was Happy Man with his tent set up and with just enough space for mine as well! So we camped on this nice sandy area blocked from any wind it was perfect. I was to beat to make dinner I can't even remember if I ate anything or not.

Blissful sleep...

Tomorrow 1 mile to Barrel springs and 9 to Warner Springs where I have 2 resupply boxes awaiting my arrival.


Scissors Crossing to some random camp site after mile 100.
23.3 very painful miles


- Posted from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Now you see why people suggested you lighten up. It isnt because you cant handle the weight its because it takes a toll. Nobody is tryung to piss you off. They are trying to help yiunout. . Especially on your feet. Keep going ang good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah I know. I guess I just like to figure things out on my own and even as a kid I never really like to be told what to do. If I'm asking for advice then yeah I'm all ears and let me have it. lol. I have been lightening up the whole way. I've found that I don't use or need certain things. Feet are getting stronger and I am finding out new ways to help them not hurt as bad. Thanks a lot for the good luck wishes I really appreciate it.

      LazyBoy

      Delete
  2. Awesome man! Way to push through. Like you said early on its about pushing yourself and your body will adapt. Great job man 100 miles!
    Gabe

    ReplyDelete