Sunday, May 18, 2014

Day 24, 22 miles to hot springs

Motivation, lack there of

Little bear spring camp 285 to hot springs 307...

Hike 22 miles, Yeah right.

Woke up this morning at 5 decided to just lay here a while. I'm still wondering why all the sudden my knee was
Hurting last night. How far am I going to get today before that shit happens again.

It's now almost 7. Made the oatmeal and used the pee bottle. (empty Gatorade bottle I carry just to use in the morning to pee in so I don't have to leave the warmth of my sleeping bag. brilliant! lol)



Here's breakfast!

It was 7:48 by the time I started walking. Knee feels so so, kind of sore. I'm going to take lots of breaks today and see how far I can get today. I would like to get to the hot springs 22 miles. We shall see.

First snack of the day.



Yeah love it. Tortilla with peanut butter and trail mix.

YouTube Video

haha you can tell I had just gotten off the phone. I felt like the video I was making was like leaving a message. I rested here for about 30 minutes. I also ate an avocado and red pepper that I bought in Big Bear.

I hiked on for 13 miles. I ran into Vegenaise (another vegan on the trail) I met him at Ziggy and the Bear's. He had taken like a week off, he was having some really bad knee problems as well. He got a ride up to Big Bear from Z&B's. We both where going slow. We got to the next water source Deep creek. It was awesome lots of shade and water deep enough to swim in. It was cold but felt amazing.





Vegenaise decided he was going to camp here. He couldn't go on any further. He had already gone 18 or so miles today. I couldn't stop now I had only 13 miles. DayGlow, Paul Bunion and TopShelf had already left about 30 min ago to make the last 9 miles to the hotsprings. It was 5:45pm and it takes about 5 hours to do 10 miles with breaks. I not going to get to the hot springs till after 10 which really sucks. So I took an anti-inflammatory, It's time to go fast. My knee was sore all day, but not bad. I filtered 4 liters of water and hit the trail.


Yea, 300 miles down.


I was able to catch the sunset. Pictures never seem to do it justice. It was a pretty good one.

I kept moving along and my knee was feeling great. The grade was pretty flat so I think that helped a lot. I caught up to DayGlow It was pitch dark she wasn't using her headlamp. She said she likes to not use it, I tried it out it was a little freaky lol. The moon wasn't out yet. I slowed down and we hiked together it was nice to have the company as we walked through the darkness.

We finally arrived and I wish I would have taken some pictures cause someone had set up lights all around the springs it was really cool. I was just so exhausted and my feet where done walking. I basically through down my tent footprint and cowboy camped right there on the sand by the springs. I should have made myself get in the hotsprings. oh well.

I was surprised my how many people that was here. There was quite a few hikes, but also some locals that have hiked up to springs. I guess there was some kind of Mushroom party going on... I don't think these are the mushrooms you by in the Grocery store haha. I was so exhausted I didn't even eat my dinner.

The moon was bright, spotlighting me in the face as I slept.

- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment