Sunday, May 11, 2014

Day 16, Mt. San Jacinto peak

Up to 10,000 feet

Idyllwild 179.4 to mile 189.33
Trail Miles hiked 9.93
Including other trails 14.71 miles today


Woke up this Morning around 6 starting packing up everything. The shuttle leaves at 8:15. Had my morning oatmeal with dark chocolate, peanut butter and honey. Chris and I also wanted to get breakfast at the red kettle one last time for second breakfast. I had hash browns and a plate of fresh fruit.






The morning shuttle to the devil slide trail. 11 of us jumped in and on the truck. Free shuttle is one of the perks of staying at the Idyllwild Inn.






Bounce and WhyNot.





Yup that's me.






Here's a picture of Chris and DayGlow. She has a hot pink ULA pack that is pretty sweet lol.






Finally got above the clouds.






The biggest pine tree I've ever seen happen to fall right across the trail.


YouTube Video








DayGlow again.





Snow! What the heck I thought this was desert. It was pretty cold today up at 6500 ft.





I don't know, I thought this looked cool.

I dropped my pack at the Janintos alternate trail and slack packed (hiking w/out backpack) to the peak. Felt so light and free! It was about 2.3 ish miles one way to the top.





It was starting to get even colder. I realized I lost my beanie on the way up! Hopefully no one picks it up on the way down and carries it down the mountain... I met a few day hikers at the top they where from Germany. They thought I was crazy hiking to Canada lol. I told them about my blog.

It kind of sucked, the clouds blocked the view. Only for a few moments was I able to see down to the valley I was going to be in tomorrow.






I started at around 6500 feet and climbed to 10834.

















My moments of view. I was freezing, time to run down the 2.3 miles and get to my pack where my puffy jacket is waiting. At this point I wasn't very happy that I made the trip up, due to the clouds. Oh well at least I can say that I did it. Got to my pack now I had to go 1 more mile to get to mile 186. The last water source for 20 miles!!! I got back the the PCT and on the sign there was my beanie! Haha someone did carry it down but luckily they didn't keep on carrying it down. Off to the small creek. I filtered 5 liters of water from the little creek and had a total of 6.5 (13lbs of water) So now that I wasted all the time to get to the peak it's almost sunset and I need to find a place to camp.

It was really cold now and super windy. I wasn't about to camp on top of the ridge where the wind will blow me away. So I hiked on, about a hour into the darkness. Then I realized I had lost one of my gloves. Oh come one on man, WTF. It couldn't have been more than a mile. Back but screw it I'm not back tracking. The pockets on my rain jacket suck everything falls out of them. I had cell service and Jordan called. I talked to her for about a mile. I was on my way to a camp ground when I found my first flat spot with blocked from the wind. About a mile before the camp ground. It was under a tree with a foot deep of pine needles and sticks that I cleared. I noticed I was right next to some creepy ass trees(I'll take a picture tomorrow). I talked to Jordan the whole time while setting up my tent. Which was nice it was occupying my mind from thinking about all the imaginary scary things in the trees. Haha.

Well it was kind of a waste of day as far as miles go but it's all good. Tomorrow is all down hill to Ziggy and the Bear's place.

Ate my homemade vegan chili for dinner and then a couple Oreos and honey peanut butter for desert. One of the cookies was flipped around with the design on the inside. Lol






- Posted from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Emmy and I have been looking at your pictures. She loves the pictures of the mountains, but demands you bring her back some Oreos!

    Gabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that's awesome. I will have to do that. Hi Emmy & Lucus! I miss you guys. Can't wait to come visit you all again... I'll bring the cookies :)

      Delete