Sunday, May 11, 2014

Day 14 and 15. Double Zero in Idyllwild

First Hotel, better make it a cabin

Sleeping at the cafe was awesome. When we all woke up we packed up our stuff and had breakfast, so cool.

As we are eating breakfast out on the patio you can see all the other hikers start to trickle in. There was only two others that I saw at the cafe yesterday that I also stayed at Trail Angel Mikes Sarge and Salsa (Sarge is a girl salsa a guy) that came all the way from mikes that showed up the night before.

Chris had just shown up he ordered food and came over to say hi. Invited him to sit at our table. I was sitting with a couple that I met last night Their names are RollingBoulder (guy) and Vestibule (girl) they both went to CU.

Chris was also taking a Zero in Idyllwild We decided to share the cost of a room.

Idyllwild is 17 miles away and I am not walking. It's my day off. Time to hitch...



Wouldn't you pick me up? haha. It only took Chris and I maybe 10 minutes before someone stopped.


Here is what the Cafe looks like from the front instead of the trail coming in from the back.

This nice lady with 4 or 5 dogs in the back picked us up. She had given some hikers a ride once before. A lot of the people in these towns close to the trail know that we are coming through so they know we aren't scary homeless bums that are going go rob you. (at least 99% of us aren't lol jk) She was really nice it was a pleasant ride once the dogs stopped barking in our ears.

We stayed at the Idyllwild Inn it's a nice place they did one load of Laundry per room so that is awesome. It's so nice to have clean clothes and a shower. Things we take for granted back home.

We went to the outfitters in town and I bought a new Pair of Super Feet insouls $45 gasp, spendy for sure. Maybe These will help with my foot pain.


They feel so nice, I'm excited.
I really wanted to buy a neoair Thermorest. But I just couldn't bring myself to spend the $150 to save 3 oz of weight. I have a Thermorest already. It's the xtherm so if feels like i'm sleeping on a heater. Which has been a little warm at times.

So it is Cico de Mayo. So a bunch of us found ourselves at the Mexican restaurant in town. Of course there will be some margaritas and what not. The special was buy one get one free! Ok I'll take 2 at the same time.


Shea is the one taking the picture lol.



Hiker trash! Happy Cico de Mileage! We hung out awhile joking around,talking about nothing and and listening to to band that was playing. It was pretty fun.

Day 15, waiting out the storm

So I wasn't planing on staying 2 zeros in Iydllwild but there was rain, wind and snow coming... Snow? Yup it snowed up in the higher elevations that I would have been hiking in today. So na I would rather not.

Staying in towns gets expensive $50 a night for the room per person. Plus any food breakfast, lunch and dinner. Of course there must be entertainment, beers and what not. So yeah. It's a lot of fun though just hanging out with interesting people and no cares, no worries.


Went to the Red Kettle for breakfast. I had already eaten oatmeal in the room. But some hash browns sounded amazing. Yes they where amazing. This place is really good.



Her is are wee cabins fireplace


Got to throw a selfie in there.

Had lunch at the pizza shop. I had a real good veggie panini and salad.



Chris and I went over to Nectar's cabin and had a beer and hung out for a while. The fire was ridiculous, so awesome.
That's about it. I went through all my gear trying to figure out what I don't need. I got rid of 30 feet of cord that I had, half the tube of vagisil (used for chafe, which I have none) I cut the 12volt output cord off my solar panel some tags and other small things. I bet it was close to half a pound ;)

Alright I'm off to dream about hiking cause tomorrow it's on again...

Oh yeah there was a section of the PCT that is closed due to fire. So from here on out my actual milage to the PCT mile I'm at isn't going to be the same. Oh well, there is some detour I could have walked but I went for the extra zero day instead. Some people did the detour a lot have not I guess it's just a personal choice.
- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment