Monday, July 28, 2014

Day 70, back in the groove

July 7

Glen Aulin PCT mile 948 to campsite at mile 972

Hiked 24 miles

I was on the trail at 6:29 and I feels good. I feel good again. It feels good to feel good. My short day yesterday was rough. My pack is still stupid heavy but at least I get to eat it lighter. ;)

I only took 2 photos today. This lake was the best thing I had seen all day.







It was nice and over cast all day, nice and cool. Which made the miles much easier. I went up and over Benson Pass it wasn't so bad.

I haven't seen any other hikers for most of the day. The first thru hiker I saw was laying down in the meadow on the grass under his umbrella. He slept as I walked by. I had to stop and make sure he was still breathing cause his position was a little unusual. He's good. Lol.

About an hour later he caught up to me while I was taking a break. His name is Chemo Robby. He is a brain cancer surviver with a scar to prove it. We hiked together for a little bit. He is pretty interesting. He teaches at a college. I hiked on but he caught up and we talked some more. I was ready to camp but he was going to go a few more miles. I decided the place I wanted to camp sucked so I kept going.

I always like meeting someone new. We get to exchange the basic info first. We hiked to together long enough where you get past the basics and more into who exactly is the other hiker and what are they about. It's cool. Kind of like a game. You get really good at listening. I have found that it's more fun being interested than trying to be interesting. I really think people actually like you more when you are interested in them, then you trying to be interesting to them. If that makes any sense. Plus while hiking up hills it's easier to listen and save your breath lol (jk)

I have discovered the best part of this whole hike. It's not the mountain pass views (which are amazing), not the crystal clear glacier pools (which are delicious), not the trees, streams or wildlife. It's the people. The people I have met, the friends I have made, the many conversations and memories made together that has made this hike unforgettable. Worth every mile(some of which where very painful). I didn't have to walk over 900 miles to really understand that. I think I knew it all along. But what I realized is that everyone I come across on the PCT has made an impression on me. I enjoy getting to know everyone I meet. What I don't get and what I find sad... Is that my normally life before the trail I did not act this way to other people. In fact I think most don't. To often we pass by someone and don't say hello, not even a nod, or even a look. No acknowledgement what so ever that another human being is right next to us. But I'm different now. I feel different. My view of the world feels different. I have become someone different. I wasn't a person who could hike 30 miles in a day(I proved that many times haha) I couldn't push myself through exhaustion and pain just to do it again the next day w/a smile. I couldn't talk to random people and genuinely want to get to know them. I don't know if this character LaZboy is me or the person I want to be. I guess maybe both. I guess you don't start out as the person you want to be. You have to become that person. Which is a process and doesn't happen over night. I don't think it has to be hard but still a process...

You are who you say you are, till you prove otherwise.

Wow that was getting deep. I almost got stuck. ;) so n e ways. I finally found a nice campsite. I had hopes that we would camp together. But he wanted to to this lake that was off trial like .5 or .6 of a mile. Not this guy I have gone far enough. I set up my tent and just as I finished down came the rain! I jumped inside with all stuff to stay nice and dry. I stripped down to my undees and went out into the rain and walked down to the little stream with my wash cloth in hand. This is a first shower I've had "on trail". It was a little chilly but awesome at the same time. Even though I wasn't buck naked it was still very freeing. I got dry in my tent ate dinner. I love how amazing my sleeping bag feels.


- Posted from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post - you rock! Glad yr feeling better and thanks for the impersonal insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I try to keep it real lol. I don't if it actually comes across the way that I want it to since I'm kind of a horrible writer. But I just try to put words on the screen and hope they half ass make sense.

    ReplyDelete