Sunday, July 27, 2014

Day 69, The Heaviest Day

July 6th

Toloume Meadows Campground mile 942 to Glen Aulin mile 948

Hiked only 6 miles

I wake by my alarm at 3:30a I fell asleep with my phone in my hand as I was tying to finish the journal entry from yesterday. I was so beat yesterday, and I'm not feeling it this morning. I shut off the alarm and went back to sleep. I woke up again at 6 and decided to get dressed and pack up my stuff. I can hear Drew and couple others already awake.

I crawled out of my tent. They are surprised that I am still here. I had grand plans of blowing out of here early and doing a big day... Nope, I ate breakfast and chated with everyone for 5 hours. I finally said my goodbys. It sucks cause Tink is getting off the trail. She is hurt and hasn't been able to hike for a while. Drew won't be getting back on the trail till at least Monday, Doctors orders. So I may not see either of them again. Sad day. Its 11:30 by the time I get on the trail. I was thinking 15 miles today...

Wrong! my pack is so loaded down with food it's ridiculous. It is carrying better since I replaced the broke frame. But it's still super heavy and I am lacking motivation and I still feel like I am recovering from yesterday. My pack is so full I can't even close the top. I had to strap my cloths bag to the outside. It's way heavier than it's ever been. I have so much food and F this bear can.

A mile in and I have decided that I am just going to camp at Glen Aulin campground where there is a bear box so I can lock up all my extra food.

Oh this is bad. It's such a heavy day. I think my main problem is just a worked so hard yesterday that I haven't recovered fully. So I think a short easy day is in order and then it's hammer time again. Plus this will give me time to eat a lot of food and try and lighten the load.

I had a nice hour long lunch by the river and a sweet meadow. I ate my Avacado, and red pepper I have been carrying from Mammoth. Yum oh so good. Almost to the campsite and came across this sweet Water fall.






haha look at the beard, look at the beard! Cant wait to see how big this guy gets.

You know what really bothers me... All of this horse shit all over the trail. It's freakin everywhere. I just saw a Ranger riding a horse and dragging a second one along behind. So that explains the source.

I roll in the campground. Pretty nice there is a water, toilets and bear box. I am pretty much the first one here for the night. I guess this place gets pretty packed by the night time. It's nice lounging around and eating with nothing to do.

A few hours pass I'm in my tent relaxing. There is lots of others here now. Mostly weekend backpackers. One guy set up is tent next to mine just before dark. He's a PCT hiker. The first PCT hiker I have seen in a while. I am so far behind the pack it's crazy. I'm used to seeing so many PCT hikers. Or I guess I should say thru hikers. His name is Crush. Pretty nice guy from Dallas Texas. We chit chated a bit. But it's time for bed. I've got a heavy pack to haul tomorrow.

I've never had a problem with the weight till today. My pack is well over the 48lbs It weight in at during the last long stretch.

- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment