Thursday, July 10, 2014

Day 63, Muir Pass

June 22

Campsite at mile 824 to Muir Hut mile 838

Hiked 14 miles

My alarm went off at 4:30 but I just couldn't do it. I am just so beat up from yesterday. Around 5 I can hear the Hammock crew getting ready to go. I wake up shortly after and I am alone. Everyone else has gone. I make my breakfast and slowly start to pack up. It's 8:30 by the time I'm on the trail. I'm only going to the Muir Hut today cause I really want to spend the night there.

The trail leaves this little valley and finally starts climbing again. I climbed over 3,000ft and came to this really awesome lake. The thought crosses my mind to jump in. Instead I lay down and watch the frogs and tadpoles swim around.


These two frogs are actually getting it on lol. It's really nice here. I am blown away by how many awesome little lakes I have seen so far.


so nice laying in the the grass. really nice and soft to. The ground is like squishy soft I love it.



I couldn't help but notice the tips on my trekking pole are completely gone and wearing down the pole really fast.



This is what the tip looks like brand new lol. It's time for new poles I need to order some new ones when I get to Mammoth Lakes.

I only have a mile left to go and the trail goes through a lot of stream crossings and what not. Check out the water up here!



I love that color blue I think it's my new favorite color. Drinking the water from these little Glacier lakes is my favorite thing to do.

I ran into my first Ranger. I started talking to this guy going south bound and didn't even realize it was a ranger at first. He was carrying a backpack and Thought he was a JMT hiker. He was a super nice guy. He was pretty young to, I would guess mid 20's max. He asked if I had a permit I told him I did. (which I do) We chit chated a little bit about the trail and parted ways.

I lost the trail a couple times on my way up. There is a little snow here and there. But it's pretty easy to get through. I found the trail and actually kicked a new trail through the snow about 50ft or so. It was pretty fun. even though it was the early afternoon the snow was hard enough to hold me up.

At last I have arrived. This is another one of those moments I have been waiting for.


The Muir Hut.




It's this awesome little stone hut. Lets go inside and check out my home for the night.


That is the ceiling, so cool.


There is the sign that says no camping in the hut. haha I'm going to anyways this place is huge on the inside. it's to bad the fire place was cemented up. That would be so cool to pack some fire wood up here and have a fire.

So I have the whole place all to myself. I start to settle in. I make my bed and start cooking dinner when someone comes in the door. It's Adam (He's from Fort Collins, CO). I met him and his hiking partner Andy just after Kennedy Meadows. He was alone though. I asked him about Andy, and he went home. I guess he had enough wilderness and hiking. I told Adam of my plan to camp here for the night. He decided to join me. We talked for a bit while we cooked and ate our dinners. I had Vegan chilly and Adam had what he called poor mans pad thai. Roman noodles, peanut butter and siratcha hot sauce. Hmm that actually sounds really good. I have to try that in the near future.

Just before dark we are joined by two other characters. Apache (a different Apache not my friend from earlier) and Merry Poppins. They also decided to stay in the hut for the nights. They asked if we saw the Ranger. I guess he asked to see there thru hiker permits lol.

So I told them all that I was going to be waking up at 4am and doing 30 miles tomorrow. They thought that was crazy. But they said go for it. It wouldn't bother them if I woke up that early. They even said it was cool if I make breakfast to. (running the jet boil is noisy)

I checked guthooks map and it looks like I have a lot of down hill tomorrow which would be perfect for doing a 30 mile day.



I want to do 30 mile day before my 30th birthday which is coming up real soon. This may be my last chance before then. So I figure I can just run down this mountain and hopefully get up and over that next little hill. haha I mean mountain which is Selden pass. I can do this. I am motived and I will be well fed and rested.

Only those who risk going to far can possibly find out how far they can go. - T.S. Ellot

It's warm in the shelter, really warm. I dont even need my sleeping bag. It's so peaceful and nice. Tomorrow, the big day. We shall see...


- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment