Monday, May 5, 2014

Day 12. The long hot day

So glad I got an umbrella

Warner Springs to Trail Angel Mike's

Miles today 18
Total miles 127.27

I woke up and started packing up for the first time right after 5 when my alarm went off. I felt bad cause everyone else around me was still sleeping. But screw it I thought it's just part of the game. People wake up earlier than you and pack up and leave just something we have to deal with.

I got out of town and on the PCT at 6:18am it was jut a nice morning I love it! I feel so good in the morning everything including me was so fresh and clean. It was a great to be out hiking.


YouTube Video

Once the sun was out for a few hours my attitude had changed a bit. And so did the scenery it was no longer a forest kind of place it was nasty ugly desert. What a long hot walk it is today. I'm not happy about it at all. Nothing glorious about this at all. I was drinking my water down like crazy. I only met one person today. Chris from Durango, CO. So that was cool I talked to him for a little bit at a creek he was getting water He's only hiking a few hundred miles and then is going back home. It was cool to met someone else form CO. I had taken this chance to eat a pop tart. I only have have one pop tart sent to me in a box. I don't like to eat junk food like that everyday for breakfast.


YouTube Video

The umbrella gives me back my sanity. If you are thinking about hiking in the desert just get an umbrella and figure out a way to rig it to your shoulder strap it's worth every bit of 13 whatever ounces it weights.
Note: something else to think about. I got the collapsible (it's heavier than the other option) one so it will fit in my bounce box when I leave the desert and I may want it in Washington for the rain.

There was some excitement however.

YouTube Video

Haha I know it's a pretty bad impression of Steve Erwin. It's just the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the snake. I should have retaken the video cause I couldn't tell that The snake wasnt in the shot very good due to where the sun was. but oh well I'll get a better one the next time I cross paths with a rattle snake.

I made it to Trail angel Mike's He has a little trail that leads right up to his. House first you see the water tank that we can get water from and there is a sign that says "come on down to the house and sign the register" His house is completely off the grid he uses generators for electricity. There was no cell phone service here at all. The second time I had't had service on the trail (AT&T) I missed the majority of the food. But was able to make a tortilla with white rice and hot sauce. I visited with some people and met a girl Name Marcellus(not sure if I spelled that right) She was really nice and easy to talk to. We talked about all the other PCT Blogs we where following. We both are having similar issues with our feet. She was upset that it was limiting her to about 12 miles.




I had to test out the hammock for a bit. As I was walking around to front of the building I saw a guy cleaning his feet and you wouldn't believe how bad his feet are.


Yikes! Nasty I'm in such better shape than Matt. he said that They actually look better now then they did.

I had some tea and set up my tent at headed off to dream land. I was planning on leaving before breakfast. I highly doubt there with be a vegan option lol.



- Posted from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Hey La-Z-Boy! It's Marcella. :) My painful Flintstones finally got me to Idyllwild and boy am I glad I got here today because it started raining and hailing as soon as I got into the Inn here. Hope all is well and maybe I'll see you up the trail. Happy Travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcella! Thanks for checking out my blog. Awesome I'm glad you made it to town before the weather. Keep in touch let me know how you are doing. jmezmilr@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. That is freaking funny the snake thing. Kind crazy though. Glad to see you are entertaining yourself :)
    Gabe

    ReplyDelete