Friday, August 1, 2014

Day 74, Leaving Bridgeport.

July 11

Sonora pass 1018 to campsite at mile 1027

Hiked 9 miles

It's nice to wake up in a nice soft bed. We lounged around till check out. I went to the post office to send home that ridiculous bear can. I also decided I wasn't going to carry my camp shoes anymore. I never wear them. Originally I got them for river crossings but discovered it's not practical since we had like 2 lol. If I have to ford anymore rivers I just walk through with my shoes and just walk them dry. It doesn't take long at all and in fact it's nice to cool off the feet. It saves time to. I decided I'm not going to wear my pants anymore either so It doesn't make sense to carry them. I also decided to bounce my chair ahead. I want to lighten my load. It's going to be tough without the chair. I'm sending my pants,chair, keyboard and minnie tripod to Beldon, CA. The guys at the Bridgeport PO are super cool.



For a grand total of 6lbs 10oz!!! Wow so excited to take that off my back. I almost wanted to just trash my bear can except for the fact it was $65 so maybe I'll try and resale it on eBay or something.

So I went back to the panini shop and oldered a huge Greek salad. It was incredible.

It's hitching time. I walked out to the edge of town. Within about 15min one of the guys from the Post Office came driving by and picked me up. He said he could take me up to hwy 108. His name is Jim I got lucky that I saw him in the post office and talked to him.

He dropped me off at hwy 108 and less than a minute this really nice lady named Kitty pulled up and took me to Sonora pass. She was riding her bike up the steep roads up the pass to train for a bike riding trip. She's riding her bike through Fort Collins, through Wyoming and to steamboat. A crazy amount of miles in a short amount of time. Pretty cool.

She dropped me off and there was trail magic! Mac came up for the day to do some trail magic. I had chips and a Gatorade. I didn't eat much else, coming straight from town I had my fill of town food. There was 3 other hikers I haven't seen before. (Which seems to be the theme these days) Cree, Bugs and Milkman are the hikers I met. We all decided to leave at the same time. It was nice hiking with some new people. Cree and Bugs are a couple. They both just got their masters degrees. They started late at mile 250 or so. It's crazy they are planning to south bound the first 250 miles after they get to Canada.

We hiked and talked for a bit we decided to go 10 miles. Found a nice campsite and came across a guy in a hammock. We wanted to have a campfire. The guy in the hammock wasn't into it. So we went to a different place since he was here first. We had our fire and ate dinner. Dammit! I wish I had my chair. I had to sit on a rock like the rest of the hikers have this whole time. It's sucks. After a I ate I retreated to my tent.

It's cool hiking with people again. I think I'm going to stick with them till Echo Lake/South Lake Tahoe. Cree and Bugs have a friend they are meeting there and plan to stay in town for a couple days.

- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment