Monday, August 4, 2014

Day 77, Echo Lake

July 14

Nipple Lake 1071 to Echo lake 1094.

Hiked 23 miles.

Ok so today is a town day. So getting up early is really easy. I'm excited to be headed into town again. I have a resupply box at the store/PO in Echo lake. I plan on just getting my stuff showering and laundry if possible and get out of town.

I'm on the trail a little after 6am. We are all excited and everyone is awake. MilkMan took off first as per usual. Then me. I saw my second bear! It was really big and brown color. It was pretty far away. I tried to take a photo but it was to far. I silently watched it walk up the valley over the hill. I stopped to get water where Bugs and Cree passed me. They have a friend that's going to pick them up at the first road crossing. They plan on staying in South Lake Tahoe for 2 days. So I will have to hike on alone again.

The miles roll by. However I am starting to notice a pain I've never had before. The front of my right heal is hurting. When I walk I try to land my foot flat. Now I'm trying to land on my fore foot to easy the pain on my heal. My left shine is acting up as well. I think I have a shine splint. Which sucks cause I'm not zeroing. I bought a Roll of KT tape in Tahoe the last time I was here. So when I get to echo lake I'm going to reach my issues and figure out how to apply the KT tape. I just realized I broke my IPhones charger cable and shorted out the electronics in my battery pack. Dam now I have to go into Lake Tahoe to by a new cable. I need to send Goal zero an email and see if they can send me a replacement battery pack too. I borrowed a cable from other hiker and charged my phone from my solar panel. The first time on the trail I had to keep my phone on airplane mode to save battery life.

I am a few miles from Echo and I found this sign.



I took a picture just incase I needed to known the phone number and or address. Bugs, Cree and Milkman had already gotten to the road and were gone when I got there. I took a short break to rest my shin splint. All day I have been stretching the muscles in the front of my shin. It helps but the pain returns shortly.

I hiked the last mile past the road and walked into the Echo lake resort. The post office was closed when I arrived so looks like I'm staying the night. I got a veggie deli sandwich, a large cookie, bag of pita chips and some spicy hummus. Yes town food. I take my food outside and sit on the ground next to the building. There is day hikers and weekend warriors around here. A couple guys where out for a few days and they lost their water filter and decided to cut their trip short. I actually saw their filter on a rock next to a steam lol.

The two guys watched and listened to me struggle to find a place to stay in echo lake. And then fail to find a ride into Tahoe. So I said goodby and was going to go out by the road and hitch. And then they asked me where I was going. I told them the hostel is by the state line in Lake Tahoe. They said "oh we are going right by there we can take you"

Heck yeah. It pays to talk to people. Their girl friends showed up 30 min later. They took me to the hostel. It was nice talking to them. Thanks for the ride!

The hostel just opened July 4th. The owner is a pretty cool guy. It's only $25 for the night. I love hostels. There is bunch of other hikers here. I go to my room and Pepper is there. I first met him in Kennedy meadows he asked me how I liked my Altras I was wearing the lone peaks at that time. He told me that Steal Toe and Giggles were also in our room. Sweet! I haven't seen those guys since it left them at Kearsarge pass.

I started my laundry and jumped in the shower. I checked movie times at the theater a few blocks away. Mountain Mama and the Red Barron went with me to watch the new Planet of the Apes. It was awesome. It got over pretty late. Everyone was asleep when I got back to the room. I climbed into my bunk and it's pillows and sheets tonight.
- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment