Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Day 34, The Saufley's

It's a race!

May 25
KOA mile 444 to Saufley's mile 454
Hiked 10 miles

For whatever reason I woke up and saw the red glow of head lamps. Checked the time and it was 3:24am. What the heck? Why is everyone up? I looked over and saw Drew and Tink where awake and packing up. I sat up and let he air from my Thermarest and proceeded to pack up in a frantic kind of way. It's a race now. Everyone says that this hike isn't a race. Right now it is. Get to the Saufleys house don't be the 51st person and ended being turned away. 3 or 4 others had left already. Plus I knew there was at least 5 people hiked out last night and where going to go half way. We have 10 miles plus 1 mile off trail through town. This could take 4-5 hours if I hustle. Alright let's go!

There was a golden spike monument right after the KOA. Its where the trail was finally completed north met south.


















Picture of the darkness we are hiking in this is the brightest start out this morning.

I started out towards the back and fell behind a little bit. I always start slow and end up stopping a lot to stretch.

Eventually I caught up to Drew and Tink and pasted them. The other group was pretty far ahead. But I saw there head lights in the distance coming towards us. That's weird. The trail crosses a dirt road and they didn't see the trail and continued to walk the road so they had to turn around (which sucks when that happens) I saw the trail down a ways. So now I was a head of them, but only by a little. So I put my head down and picked up the pace. I was going to beat them this was a race now for sure lol. (At least in my mind) I kept on going and going I was even running down the hills at times. It felt easier than walking, my pack was light. Very little water and practically no food. I had pasted OG, Mung and gang still in there sleeping bags. So that was good. It's funny we thought about hiking out last night too. But why? Why sleep out in the dirt when we can sleep at the KOA with bathrooms and running water. Wake up early and get to Saufley's before them anyways.

I could see the Vazquez Rocks picnic area ahead. I really needed to hurry cause I had an angry caller on line 2 haha. Luckily they had a porta-potty there. Since I have my pack off I used this time to take my pants and long sleeve shirt off since it was getting hot. I wasn't taking any breaks. I finally got into town and passes by the store, pizza shop and other reaturants this was a nice little town. The mile off trail to the Saufley's seems more like 3 miles. I left the KOA at 4:20am and walked into the Saufley's backyard at 8:12am. I was greeted by and dog and there was a couple RV's and horses as well. A huge rack of bikes.







These are the loaner bikes for us hikers to us to go to the store and what not.

Right away I am greeted by this guy. He offered to give me the tour and the run down of everything here.





He looked really familiar I even knew his voice. So I had to ask. "Hey you look really familiar, where do I know you from?" It's Tequila Jack! He made a YouTube video called what's in my pack. He hiked the PCT in 2011. I watched his video several times. So it was really cool to actually meet him.

Here is his video.

Click here for TequilaJacks YouTube video

He finishes showing me around and I drop off the clothes I wore this morning to get washed. Put my name on the list to take a shower and to go to REI. They have this trailer in there back yard for us hikers. It's pretty sweet. Has a shower, kitchen and living room where we can watch movies. There is a lot of people here laying about in the shade and some are soaking there feet. Backroads and Happy Man are here also.

Here's some pictures of their set up.
























Computers for us to use to get on the Internet.





I went to REI and I wanted to buy a sleeping bag, shoes, silk bag liner, head net, and a slightly warmer shirt that what I have to hike in.

I had to order the shoes and sleeping bag. Shoes have been set to Tehachapi. I bought Altra lone peak and Altra Olympus. I am pretty excited can't wait to try them on. I also sent a few things ahead like my rain pants some protein powder, honey and some other things I don't remember what what else was all in there.

I also have a resupply box here. I am all town clean and resupplied and ready to go so at 5 am I'm out of here. Backroads and I plan to go to the restaurant down the street for breakfast in the morning. Drew wasn't quite ready to leave so he is going to head out later in the day. Tink has to wait a few days cause her resupply person failed to send her box... Super shitty.

Off to dream about hiking haha or whatever my subconscious is thinking about.

Thank you Donna Saufley, you are amazing. Your place is super sweet I don't think anyone has a set up like you do. Thank you for everything you have done for me/us. Thank you to all your friends that dropped off food and snacks. (COOKIES! :) I speak for all us hikers we love you all for taking such good care of us!

Next stop the Anderson's!
(sorry it's been so long between post I haven't had good internet.)

- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment