Thursday, June 12, 2014

Day 43, Just another day in the desert

June 3
Willow springs mile 621 to mile 643

Hiked 22 miles

I woke up way later than I wanted 5am. I needed to get water this morning as well. I headed down to the spring and as the others where starting to pack up and others leaving. This guy named Trailblazer was going to carry 12 liters of water! Holly shit, Thats about 26 pounds of water. I guess he doesn't trust the water cache . Me I take 3 from here. so in total I have about 4ish.

The sun is coming out in full force it's blistering hot, it just sucks the life force right out of you.

I needed to take a break.









Yeah I was laying on a rock and had my feet up on my pack. I was listening to some Johnny Cash "hurt" one of my favs.

I was only 2ish miles from the cache so time to get there. I was talking to to some other hikers we talked about how much water we are carrying. Everyone looked at me funny when I said I only have 3 liters... I don't get it. The water report says a 120 gallon cache is at mile 630. (little did I know that my water report was a few days older than theirs)

We got down to where the cache was and there is like 5 or 6 other hikers under trees and rocks and what ever you could do to get shade. Yes there is 150 gallons of shinny glistening brand new gallon water jugs under this tree all of them full. I Grabbed 4 liters. I went to get shade with the others. I found out that the reason they looked at me funny earlier is because the latest water report said that this cache was empty...

Yeah that would have made an interesting story. How I would have had to go another 10 miles with no water. The Trail has provided for me. (aka trail angels)

Rolling Boulder, Vestibule, Indy, Bright eyes, Ranger Jan and I all sat under the shade for a few hours. Eating things and sharing stories. It was pretty nice. I ate two of my dinners! I had "meat" pie (which doesn't have any meat. mashed potatoes and Textured vegetable protein) and I had Spaghetti.

The trekking poles I was carrying I left them about 5 ish miles up the trail by a sign that was talking about the Mojave Turtle. I was pretty sure who ever owned them was behind me. Later Apache came down the trail and told me thanks for carrying his trekking poles! When he got to that campsite where I found them some random lady had picked him up and took him into town to get a burger. So He saw my note in the dirt and was night hiking trying to catch up to me lol. Funny how things work out. But I could have just left them there he would have had them sooner but you just never know. It was about 3 and still hot,but we all decided it was time to go. we had a pretty good climb ahead of us.

This sucks I kept thinking to myself it was so hot and I'm just dripping with sweat. I am so ready for the sierras. I try to think of other things to keep me sane. I think about how much I love the heat and I'm going to hate the cold when we get higher elevations. Just trying to keep happy about my situation. I guess the good thing is my pack is getting lighter everyday cause I keep eating food.

The day went on and I caught up to Rolling Boulder and Vestibule. It was time to look for a campsite. We walked on a few miles. I stopped to talk to Apache he asked if I wanted to night hike and get to this cabin that was 5 miles up trail. I thought about it for a while I thought it would be a good idea it would get 22 miles for the day. Night hike, yup.

We hiked on as the sun was getting close to setting. We stopped for a short break to eat dinner. I had Spaghetti again it's one of my favorites. It's angle hair noddles and spaghetti sauce that i dehydrated at home. I add olive oil, garlic spritzer spray and salt. I am kind of getting worried though I am running pretty low on fuel in my canister. It feels really light.

It didn't take us long to get to the trail to the cabin. We found flat spots off the trail and decided to camp right there. We are both pretty beat.

It's a nice night under the stars.




-Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment