Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Day 52. Unexpected stop into Lone Pine.

Sometimes your just down in the dirt.

June 11
Death Canyon Spring mile 730 to HorseShoe Meadows mile 744

Hiked 14 very painful miles

I woke up this morning at performed the usual tasks.

I laid in my sleeping bag longer than normal. I'm not sure if my foot is any better I haven't put any weight on it yet. I took some Vitamin I (Ibuprofen) hopping I can make it to Cottowood pass, only a short 20 miles away lol.

I was putting my shoes on and about to pack up the tent just as ET and Apache walked by. They are already on the trail. I am hopping that as soon as I get going my foot is going to be a ok.

I'm off at a slow pace trying to warm up a bit. My hope is that I can catch up to the others after a few hours. I'm feeling ok. About 15 min of walking and I would rather crawl, than take one more step. The pain comes on slow and steady which is not to bad then one step its like shooting pain from the outer side of my foot, almost brings me to my knees. I can stretch my foot and shake out the pain and keep going. Walking a certain way mostly on my heel feels somewhat manageable. I am not going to make it 20 miles no way in hell. In fact this is hell right now. Going up and down hills while my foots in a vice and being struck by a hammer on occasion. haha sorry for being so dramatic today is the suckiest day on the trail. Well at least the most painful.

I continued on and I heard that email tone from my cell phone. Yea service! It was really spoty and kind of in and out. I reached the top of the climb and I climbed up the top of these rocks and no service... thats weird. It was a great view so not all was wasted.






I could see all the way down to the valley where its flat I thought it was Death Valley (Owens Valley).

I turned around to start heading back to the trail and I got cell service along with 4G. So exciting it has been days since I've had service. I called Jordan. But of course she didn't answer. Jordan answer your phone! haha. so I called my Dad to see how my parents are doing. We talked for a while. I found out that my last spot check in didn't go through so I sent it again. It was nice getting on the internet I had 121 emails and I had to transfer money into my checking account from savings. I don't know how people did things without the internet and smart phones. I didn't grow up with these things but I have become quite accustom to them. Even out here on the trail I still need them. I forgot to pick up a package I sent myself in Hikertown so I had to send Bob at HikerTown and Email to forward it.

So n e ways back to the trail. So I have decided to leave this amazing area of cell service. I am getting off the trail. I am going to make an unexpected stop and go into Lone Pine.

I tried double rapping my foot with KT tape hopping to double the support.



It feels like it kind of helps but every step I'm taking on my left foot is still dreaded.

I am getting so hungry and my foot hurts I don't see any rocks to sit on and I am to lazy to pull out and set up my chair. Think I will just sit right now. I found myself pretty down and lacking motivation sitting in the dirt amongst these little black ants. Watching them be so busy moving tiny pieces of dirt, while others are walking around in search of whatever ants are in search of when they are walking around. I feel small, small as an ant...

I can see someone coming up the trail... It's Ninja. We talked for a bit. He Kept asking if I was ok. I guess it might Have been odd that I was just sitting in the dirt where I was. He had said that he has people that he is going to be meeting up with in Lone Pine and Jon is coming behind him and he asked if I would want to share a hotel room with them? ...Heck yes. He had come from a long ways away I think he said this was going to be a 26 mile day for him. (as I hobbled out 10 miles so far) Amazing how in the lowest moments the trail provides what you need to bring yourself back up. It's hard sometimes to keep your mental toughness that I usually have.

Alright suck it up man get to Lone Pine where The town food like pizza factory hotel and shower awaits. (even though I wasn't ready for such things since I just got back on the trail. but I can't hike on like this.)

We talked about what trail they are going to take to get to HorseMeadows. I checked my map only a mile to the first one. Then 1.7 to Horseshoe Meadows. I guess there is a bunch of trails that go there. They went on a head of me. I lost sight of them and I just hiked on through the pain.

I forgot which trail they said they are taking I just went down the first one. It was steep and not much of a trail. it's all washed out. I lost the trail for a minute and was bushwhacking down through the forest. I came to this cleaning an awesome meadow which I neglected to take a picture off. The ground flattened out and was sandy which felt good on the feet. I could see for some distance I know they didn't take this trail. I guess If I don't find them I hope I can find them in town. I found the camp ground and went straight for the restrooms. One cat hole not dug today(I'm keeping track by the way lol)...

There wasn't a single person in this camp ground. Great this is going to be a really hard hitch into Lone Pine 22 miles. I checked the camp ground map saw there was another area. So I headed that way.

I saw a big white van... wait a minute thats Brittany and Toms van. Both doors open I could see Kyle and Brittany sitting inside. I walked over to there surprise they said "Hey! where did you come from?" I wanted to say from hell but I just point to the forest and said from way up there. They were there to pick up Matt he was coming off the trail he to was having foot problems. (new Boots I guess) I pulled out my chair and Brittany offered me a Blue Moon. Oh yes, I feeling much better. We talked for a bit. then Ninja and Jon came walking up. They to were surprised to see me. "How did you get here so fast?" I told them I just came down the Murlkey trail. Britany offered to take us into Lone Pine after Matt gets here. We decided to try and hitch out first incase he takes a while him to get here.

We walked out of the Campground out to the road. There was no traffic at all... This is going to take a while. It took us maybe 45 min to catch a ride. Super stoked. This Prius pulls over the two guys inside tell us to get in they are going to Lone Pine.



This is how you pack it in. I almost couldn't close the door haha. The two guys that picked up was Geraldo and George. Couple of really nice guys. They Planned to hike Mt. Whiney tomorrow morning at 12 to catch the sunrise.

Had a nice view on the way down to Lone Pine.










Here the whole group of us. George, me, Ninja, Geraldo, and Jon

The Dow Villa, it's was an ok place. No ac which almost sucked. But it has good internet. ;) and with 3 sharing the room it was the cheapest.



Went across the street to the Pizza Factory. I got a large pizza and the salad bar. So good I ate myself silly full.

Got to talk to Jordan which was really good. I miss you Jordan, so much it hurts sometimes. :(

Back to hotel and had a shower and time for sleep. I hope some more rest helps out. I expect to have to stay another night though.

- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment