Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day 50, Leaving Kennedy Meadows, Finally!


June 9
Kennedy Meadows mile 702 to campsite 709

Hiked out 7.25 miles. (I knew I could escape)

Woke up in a lazy fashion. Knowing I have nothing to do for a long time today. Rolled out of the tent at 7am. Haha that's sleeping in for a thru hiker.

I must say it sure is nice to have a pee bottle. Not having to get out of the sleeping bag at 5 ish in the morning.

I organized some of my things before I set out for the patio/deck to get breakfast. Today there is biscuits and gravy. I got extra biscuit and gravy cause I told them to hold the sausage and eggs. With a little hot sauce it's pretty legit. I had to get two orders of course w/coffee.

Now time to play with my bear can and see if I can fit this in my pack with everything else. I managed to get all of my food in there. Bear can with food It feels like a 20lbs of shit. (Well it soon will be. haha) this thing does not feel good on my back it throws everything off. Dammit this sucks. I think I'll go back to the patio and try not to think about it. Looks like everyone is getting a Mohawk hair cut lol. I wish I had hair I would have joined in.

Backroads has arrived! With my sleeping bag as well. So I sent my other one home. I am going to miss you Nemo Nocturne the most amazing sleeping bag ever. From Amazon I bought a Therm-a-rest sleeping bag. It's a Antares 15 degree (thought it was a 20) it saves me a over a pound off my base weight and is half as bulky. Which is the main reason I wanted it. To save the room in my pack. It has no insulation on the back. Instead it has straps so I can attach my Therm-a-rest Neo Air that I already have and love. I also sent two pairs of socks and my source water bladder home. Got rid of my sun screen I never wear. (I'm trying to off set the weight is the 2.5lbs bear can. I came close.

I'm ready to go. Well almost. I make one last ditch effort to adjust the bear can to make my pack... dare I say bearable lol. I flipped the can on its side and it's a super tight fit in the pack... Holy shit it's worlds better, I mean bearable. I put it in the bottom of the pack.

Apache is ready to go as well. He introduced me to a guy named ET who he met on the AT (Appalachia trail, long distance trail like the PCT) small world. He too was hiking out right now. So we are a party of three getting out of here. We get an applause from the crowd as we head across the dirt parking lot towards the road. It's so hard to leave and so easy to stay. There is tons of camping spots behind the store and it's free to camp. There is lots of food and beer to be had here as well.

It feels good to be back on the trail but also hard I'm not used to carrying the weight. I have had 5 days off.

We are moving fast. We went 7 miles in 2.5 hours to a pretty big campsite. Some others were here as well. I only knew Mongoose. Threw up the tent and ate dinner( lol that sounds funny) Excited and nervous to try out this new sleeping bag. I'll take photos of it soon if I remember.



- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment