Friday, June 13, 2014

Day 46, 47, 48, KENNEDY MEADOWS!!!



I woke up this morning. I know already what I am going to do... I'm going to Kennedy Meadows...

June 6.

In my mind I'm done with the desert. I'm not sure what Apache is going to do. But I'm going to KM. I have a few packages there and I'm ready to go.

We got our "free" breakfast. Packed up everything. Waited till check out and headed for the street. It's hitching time.

It seems harder to hitch out of town than in. We walked down the street for a ways. Finally got our first ride by this guy who took us across town. Then walked to this convenience store and bought drinks and rested in the shade. The temperature is 102 out so it's pretty darn hot today. We waited for someone to pick us up for maybe 45 minutes. This lady pulled up with a car full of kids and told us she would send her husband. Took maybe 30 min. Someone pulls up in a small SUV. This super nice guy said he is the one sent by the lady. Turns out his son is actually starting the trail at Walker Pass this weekend. He said he will take Apache to Walker Pass and he will take me all the way to KM! Wow I can't believe it. We dropped off Apache and begin the long drive up into the mountains to KM. He is an engineer of sorts and so is his son. He works for the military base that is there in Ridge Crest. I learned all kinds of things about how GPS works. Very smart guy. I just got so lucky here. I still can't believe it. He asked me some questions about the trail and what not. I started seeing signs for KM. I am so excited. I just can't believe I'm here.

Pulling in was amazing. There was a ton of hikers here a lot that I have never seen before.




I dropped my pack and go into the store and start a tab. Grab a couple beers. Followed by a bag of gauc chips and bean dip. Picked up my packages and bear can... Oh shit this bear can is heavy. Tomorrow I get to play bear canister Tetris and see if I can fit 8 days of food in there.

So here's the deal with the bear canisters. We are two days away from areas that require we carry a bear canister. We have to keep our food in the can so bears can't eat it. Don't feed the bears.

We all just sit around on the patio eating, drinking, and bullshitting. It's so nice to be around so many fellow thru hikers. aka friends.




Rolling Boulder and Vestibule going through there resupply box.





Rolling Boulder, Vestibule, Indy, and Trailblazer.



Found these comics on the bulletin board. Rocket Llama! I miss her comic she used to post on her blog. She has put it on hold cause she is hiking the PCT again this year.

I Have found a nice spot to call home for the night set up my tent. I crawl inside to go to sleep. I have a big day tomorrow of eating and drinking and bullshitting.

Day 48
June 7.

I did my choirs today. Went through all my food to make sure I had enough. I played Bear can Tetis... Yeah no, my food doesn't all fit. but I think it's ok I can leave a couple days out of the can since I have a couple days till it's required.

I had 3 packages here. Two food and one with magazines and socks.

This one had a couple notes on it from Jordan and her family.


Thanks Kyle and Trish!

Found another use for the bear can. A table for typing blog entries. Lol


I spent the rest of the day sitting on the patio bull shitting and eating. We are all just so happy to be at KM and have the desert behind us.

I don't feel bad at all for skipping the last little section. A few people I have talked to have told me that the last two days had made them want to quit. (None of them had thought that prior) I'm feeling good. I had a couple really nice days in town and came straight here. I couldn't be happier. Looking forward to the sierras. I'm all rested and feeling good. I plan on leaving bright and early tomorrow.

Day 49
June 8.

Yeah I woke up at 5 and ate breakfast and started packing up. By 7:30 I decided I was going to stay another day. I was going to carry the bear can empty on the out side of my pack. Yeah that's not going to happen, It not working it's just to big and award to put on the outside with the straps and cord I got. So I decided to stay another day. Also because Backroads will be here today so I can get my new sleeping bag. I had it shipped to his house and his wife came up to visit so she brought it.



My tent all packed up and I just sat there staring at the bear can wondering what to do. So I went back to the patio to hang out and ate a veggie burger on Texas toast. Which was amazing by the way. Meg, Jeff got in yesterday. Little Spoon (who is now danger spoon) Drew and Tink had just arrived along with Stiff Willie, Shady, and BallHawk so that's cool, the whole gang is here.

It was getting late and no sign of Backroads. There is no cell service and the crappy pay phone is $2.50 for 3 min and I already spent $5 calling Jordan just to leave her a message and talk for 3min but glad I could talk to her. Luckily Jeff offered to let me use his intouch gps/messagesr device to send him a text message. Turns out he will be her tomorrow sometime. Well looks like I'm staying most of tomorrow as well. I'm never going to be able to leave this place. I'm stuck in the vortex. I had cashed out my tab yesterday. Between my bear can, food and little things here and there I spent $130. Which I'm told is pretty good. Most people spend more.

I'm outa here tomorrow no matter what...



Posted from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! You're going to love the Sierras.

    The bit between Walker Pass & Kennedy Meadows isn't that bad, there's enough shade in the latter part. Now you can't say you've walked all 2650 miles of it anymore :-\

    ReplyDelete