Thursday, June 12, 2014

Day 39 & 40, Tehachapi and new shoe!

May 30
Mile 549 to Tehachapi mile 566
Hiked 17 miles

Got on the trail at 4:40am. We only got 9 miles to get to willow springs which is the first exit for Tehachapi. Town food and new shoes here I come.

Beautiful morning, sunrise.





















So we made it to willow springs and many other people had gotten there right after we did. Most people got to the road and hitched into town. The second exit is 8 miles away. Some people hitch into town at the first exit and resume at the second mile 566. It was early and Drew talked me into hiking the 8 miles to the second exit. We can actually call the bus station and they will make an unscheduled stop at hwy 58 to pick up PCT hikers. So thats what we are going to do.

The hike was hot and Boring. We made it none the less. We caught the bus right on time too. We got on the bus hot and dirty while everyone looked at us haha. The AC on the bus was so nice.

Bus dropped us off in front of a Burger King in Tehachapi. So first things first time to eat. No we didn't eat at BK. We went to the pizza shop next door. TK Pizza.



I ate the whole thing, of course.

We checked into the Best Western and it's Shower, Laundry time.

I got to the room started my Laundry and passed out.

Day 40, May 31.
Time to get the town chores done.

First things first. Eat. They have a really good breakfast at the Best Western. We take full advantage of that. They have to lose money on this haha.



I washed my pack in the shower. hanging to dry.

Jeff and Meg rented a car and they took us to the post office to pick up our boxes. I had 2 food resupply boxes. a bounce box and a box from REI... NEW SHOES!!!!

Here is what is in my resupply box.




Yeah thats a lot of food. That is going to suck carrying all that food. It's going to be so good eating all that food. When you hike all day and day after day after day. There really is no way you can carry enough food to replace all the energy that you burn. Thats why in town it's time to turn into a ravenous eating machine. I have only lost 5lbs putting my weight at 149lbs I haven't been down than low since middle school. I don't have anymore weight to lose really.




The Old shoes 566 miles.






The shoes aren't in that bad of shape. The thread is worn more than anything else. I am just ready for some thing new. I really liked the Cascadia's but I just feel there is something better out there.



The insoles I used for the last bit. The super feet on the right where good for a while. However they hurt my arches really bad. So I just got the jell soles with no arch support and my feet where much happier. Those insoles wheren't going to last much longer on the trail. After the first day they where starting to get chewed up.

New Shoe option number 1. Altra's Olympus. These shoes are incredible. Super thick soles. So much cushion I love them.



I wore them around the store I can't wait to get these out on the trail. It was hard, However I decided to use them later. I set them ahead in my bounce box.

Instead I'm going to use the Altra Lone Peak shoes first. These things are also very nice. Feels like slippers on my feet.



Love these shoes huge toe box.

We checked out of our room and moved our stuff into Jeff and Megs they are going to take us to the trail around 6:30pm.

Time flies and time to get back on the trail. First I ran over to the pizza shop and had some Lasania. It was incredible.

Got back on the trail and we hiked till 10:30pm and went 6.4 miles. The wind was the worst I have ever experienced in my life. It was so hard to walk. It almost blew us down a couple of times. We needed to find a place to camp that was blocked by the wind.

We found such a spot. under a bunch of trees. It was a sweet spot. So glad I got ear plugs, off to sleep I go.

camped at PCT mile 572.91


- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment